(S.D.)- Firefighters Grab Unattended Child From Apartment
RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) - Authorities in Rapid City say firefighters forced their way into an apartment and pulled out a 16-month-old child who was alone as smoke detectors buzzed from a smoldering kitchen stove.
The fire department's Monica Colby says that callers reported hearing the smoke alarm and warned there might be an unattended child in the apartment. Colby says there was also a visible glow from a window of the fire that was intense enough to melt the knobs on the stove.
Police say the 38-year-old mother returned as firefighters and police were at the scene. Officers arrested her on a driving under the influence charge.
Police are continuing to investigate why the child was left alone in the apartment.
Back to News
Printer Friendly Version
Send Story to a friend.