(Neb.)-Fire Crews Extinguish Blaze At Blaine Hotel
(Chadron)-Shortly after 8 pm on Wednesday evening, the Chadron Volunteer Fire Department was called to the Blaine Hotel on East Second Street for a report of a fire. Flames could be seen shooting out of a window on the northwest side of the building from the second floor. Crews worked to get a handle on the blaze, while residents of the hotel were evacuated.
Streets were closed around the area, and mutual aid was requested of Crawford. Firemen worked to control the flames, as well as extinguish it, and it is understood that the fire itself was contained in an apartment on the second floor of the historic building.
Residents stood in the First National Bank parking lot across the street watching for any sign from those fighting the fire inside, some also hoping to return home at the end of the evening. Chadron Fire Chief Pat Gould stated the residents would not be allowed back in that night. Gould also stated he had very little information, other than the Dawes County Attorney would be releasing more information at a later time.
Although officials are not confirming any specific information, witnesses on scene have told KCSR that at least one person lost their life in the building. Chadron Community Church offered assistance to those displaced by the fire, and a representative from the American Red Cross was also on hand. Of all the residents who were evacuated, only one person reported they had no family or friends to turn to in town for help.
As more information becomes available on this tragic situation, we will pass that along to our listeners.
(Questions? Comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org)
(Copyright 2012 KCSR/Chadrad Communications, Inc. May not be reproduced in any form without permission.)
Back to News
Printer Friendly Version
Send Story to a friend.